When Taking Adult Dance Classes in Reno How Perfect Do You Want to Be?

 

When taking adult dance classes in Reno for Ballroom, Latin, or West Coast Swing how "perfect" do you really need to be?   

Maybe that is a dumb question but I think and feel it is a great question. 

I woke up this morning with that question in my head.  I have been dancing for a long time. I started when I was about 15 taking ballet, jazz, and tap.  Shit, over 40 years ago!  Anyway back then I was learning to be "perfect" and when I changed my dancing to ballroom and eventually started competing I was striving every single day, training 5 hours a day and then teaching to be perfect, be perfect, be perfect! 

Then the burnout hit me hard.  As much as I loved dancing, I loved training just as much.  But spending your life trying to accomplish something you know is not a possibility can drive you to push even harder.  My poor partners, maybe I should apologize to all of them right now for pushing so hard. 
Don't get me wrong it certainly paid off, but I was a bit of a taskmaster. (with love of course 😁)

So, back to the question.  As an adult taking dance classes or private lessons in ballroom, Latin or west coast swing.  Here is what I say is your gauge of how "perfect" you want to be.  Don't be.  What?  Why would a teacher tell you not to be perfect?  Well, it really depends on what you are wanting to do with your dancing.  If you are wanting to perform or compete then strive to be really good.  If you are younger and want to dance professionally then be really really good and yes strive for perfection but have fun while doing it.  But if you just want to be a great social dancer find the best adult class in Reno for your style of dance and you take your lessons to clean things up and get great basics and fundamentals but more importantly use your lessons to have fun and learn to get creative with dance!




Take Dance Lessons in Reno and Sparks to Be Creative

While learning your fundamentals, becoming a creative dancer with decent technique can make you an amazing dancer to dance with.  I honestly mean that.  When I fell in love with West Coast Swing I watched dancers that were champions that were so musical and creative I didn't even notice technique.  They had the skills for sure but I was more enamored with how I could see the music in their freestyle dances with a partner they never danced with before to a song they may never have heard before.  That is dancing!

You can do the same thing in Ballroom and Latin dancing but it can be a little harder if your technique is weak but still I have danced with dancers that made it so fun because they brought creativity to the social floor and I smiled during the entire dance.

Work on your basic fundamental techniques 

These are really the same for ballroom, Latin, swing, ballet, tap or whatever you dance.  The techniques may be applied differently to the style of dance you are doing but basically the same.  A great example is dancers live with the ischial tuberosity (your sit bones) drawn back over the heals, with your shoulders slightly pushed down and creating a long back.  Pick a dance and that will be the position even if you are down and bent kneed like Lindy Hop. 

Also, delay lowing your heel and allow the weight of the leg straightening to lower your heel instead of straightening your leg completely and then lowering the heel.  If you don't know what I am talking about then you probably lower your heel too quickly. 

My favorite general technique tip is your frame and knees always go forward and your head and center always move backward, yes no matter what dance you are doing.  

Get these simple techniques feeling comfortable and this will allow you to focus on being creative.  But remember learning to be creative is also about failing a few times when you try something new and it does not work.  In west coast swing you have more freedom than you do in a ballroom or Latin dance so in west coast swing fails can actually turn into fun moves! 

Dance for fun

Dance for fitness, dance for mental health, but most importantly dance for fun.

Here is a link to the Ballroom of Reno's Youtube Channel for lessons and recaps to assist you along your journey and help between your lessons.



Check out all the FREE beginner group classes The Ballroom of Reno dance studio offers every week


Cheers, 

J

Jeffrey has taught all over the United States but makes his home at The Ballroom of Reno School of Dance.  He can teach anywhere but The Ballroom of Reno is a non-profit that touches the community through free group classes and other outreach dance programs, the 7000 square feet of the dance floor, combined with the wonderful people and no sales pressure attitude makes it the best ballroom dance studio in Reno Nv.  


The dances the pros teach at The Ballroom of Reno school of dance are Waltz, Foxtrot, Tango, Argentine Tango, Bolero, Rumba, Cha-Cha, East Coast Swing, West Coast Swing, Samba, Salsa, Mambo, Merengue, Viennese Waltz, night Club two-step, Country two-step Salsa on two, Bachata dance, Cumbia dance, Bolero, your First Wedding Dance, and many other social partner dances, club dances so you can go ballroom dancing or club dancing in Reno and Sparks NV!


The Ballroom of Reno YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc90uXjVRZTzOvOhDGef0sA

Here is another youtube channel I have for you to learn how to dance. 

Follow a beginner dancer as she learns Ballroom, Latin and Swing in Reno.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC93oGLAToG3iD0fUjs_aCFQ




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

West Coast Swing in Reno = Fun, Laughs and a Dork Teacher

West Coast Swing Dancing in Reno and Sparks

Are Private Lessons for Adults in Dance Classes in Reno Worth The Cost?