Ballroom Dance in Reno and Sparks for Fitness and Mental Health?

 


Ballroom Dance in Reno for Fitness and Mental Health?

I am no doctor, I rarely even go to the doctor, but I do have several friends that are doctors.😁  They all agree if you move your body every single day that is a good thing.  So, all of you that love to "watch" Dancing With The Stars",  "So You Think You Can Dance", Dance whatever show, I hope it inspires you to get your butt off the couch and start dancing for yourself!


There are so many videos, articles, and people talking about all the good dance can do for us. I am not going to write an article to convince you to start Ballroom, Latin or Swing dancing in Reno, Sparks or even the Carson areas.  Why? Because that is something you know you want to do or you don't.  So, I am going to go the other way.

Some reasons not to dance

You just don't want to.  

What someone doesn't want to dance?  I know lots of people who don't want to dance, but they love the gym or running or playing tennis or whatever.  The funny thing is a lot of those people that I know that do all that stuff actually still dance but not for fitness but because it is fun and they tell me it gets rid of everyday stress. 

You would rather watch sports on tv and drink a beer. 

 That a choice.  No judgment.  The cool thing about west coast swing dancing in Reno, once a week, we do dance in a bar that has sports!  So, you will be around people that are dancing and maybe you will see how much fun we are having and actually decide you might want to learn and dance "just a little".  I do have a friend whose wife danced west coast swing and for a couple years, he just hung out with us and supported his wife.  Because he knew she liked it so much he decided to learn in secret for about a year to surprise her.  That was cool. 


I work hard all day and I am just too tired.

I am not even going to get the violins out for that one.  It's like when someone goes for a walk, goes to the gym, goes running, or anything physical but they are too tired because of a long day.  But I will guarantee that most everyone will tell you they feel better and more energetic just after a short time of doing their activity.  Ballroom, Latin, or Swing dancing is no different but could be better because you get to have physical touch, cognitive function, friendships, laughter, and great music that moves you.   

In my own experience, if I sit down to watch tv because I am tired doesn't make me feel better, it just makes me feel more tired.  I would rather go dancing even a little (now remember I dance all day so when I am tired it is because I have been dancing all day) and get the mental fix and friendship feel than I would just be sitting on my ass watching TV.

I don't see how it helps me with balance just learning some patterns.

Partner dancing or any dancing is a great way to improve balance and coordination.  Partner dancing has been shown to have great benefits that will find your body stretching and bending in ways you are not used to.  This will help strengthen your core and balance.  If you can't see your feet it should not stop you from strengthing your core.  As we age our balance starts to become shit, so anything you can do to strengthen that balance point I would do it. 


 

Dance doesn't really improve mental health, does it?

Well, you can google how it does.  But I can tell you it reduces stress.  Getting on the dance floor with friends or your instructor is a great way to turn the stress off of everyday life.

Group Classes are as much about social time as it is about learning.  

Okay done telling you why not to learn to dance.  I will tell you if you want to meet new, fun people and want a social life then dancing will do it for you.  If you don't have social skills dance can help.  I know some dancers that the only time they felt comfortable was while dancing and gradually they carried that confidence over into their normal day-to-day life.  

So, do what you want but I have never met a dancer that acts old, is a grumpy Gus, or doesn't have friends.  

I know I am probably speaking to the choir but I hope this encourages one person to let dance discover them.  


Cheers,
J
Jeffrey has taught all over the United States but makes his home at The Ballroom of Reno School of Dance.  He can teach anywhere but The Ballroom of Reno is a non-profit that touches the community through free group classes and other outreach dance programs, the 7000 square feet of the dance floor, combined with the wonderful people and no sales pressure attitude makes it the best ballroom dance studio in Reno Nv.  

The dances the pros teach at The Ballroom of Reno school of dance are Waltz, Foxtrot, Tango, Argentine Tango, Bolero, Rumba, Cha-Cha, East Coast Swing, West Coast Swing, Samba, Salsa, Mambo, Merengue, Viennese Waltz, night Club two-step, Country two-step Salsa on two, Bachata dance, Cumbia dance, Bolero, your First Wedding Dance, and many other social partner dances, club dances so you can go ballroom dancing or club dancing in Reno and Sparks NV!

The Ballroom of Reno YouTube
Better West Coast Swing YouTube 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

West Coast Swing in Reno = Fun, Laughs and a Dork Teacher

West Coast Swing Dancing in Reno and Sparks

Are Private Lessons for Adults in Dance Classes in Reno Worth The Cost?