How often should you take Ballroom or West Coast Swing Classes in the Reno or Sparks area?

 🍷🍷

How Often Should You Take a Class or Private Lesson?


This was always a question I am always asked when a student just starts taking Ballroom Dance or West Coast Swing lessons in Reno.  That is not always an easy answer but I will tell you what my students do and what I recommend.  

If you have been dancing for some time and had really worked hard for years on dance, and now (like one of my wonderful "once in awhile students" said) are "cruising along" while still being a good social dancer, not focused on competing, then an every once in a while lesson is perfect for you because it sharpens the saw if you will.  

I also have students who are really good social and competitive ballroom or west coast swing dancers here in Reno, that also like to perform in showcases and compete in the occasional dance competition.  Those dancers enjoy taking several hours a week but not because they care that much about competing or performing but because they have told me it's fun, they get exercise, they get to practice and I am cheaper than a shrink.  

Lessons are about having fun while you are learning and all that other stuff is just a benchmark on your progression.  With that said, I love it when sometimes a student will bring wine or food during the lessons (Because I am not some boring-ass teacher and they always know I am usually hungry and love wine 😎)



How Many Lessons a Week?

When you are just starting out and let's assume your budget is not an issue.  I always suggest two sessions a week even if they are group classes.  Why two? Because it will take you forever to learn taking once a week if you are new and have never done this stuff before.  That is why I recommend at least two and that is also the main reason I keep my rates lower because if you can afford one private lesson at a franchise studio-like Arthur Murray in Reno or other dance studios in Reno or Sparks NV that charge a higher rate, I would prefer you be able to take two with me so you can learn faster.  Yeah maybe that is bad business but I kinda think it should be about the student. 



Let's say it is a budget thing, that's okay.  Then take one private and one or two group classes a week.  What if you can not swing private lessons, can you learn by just taking group classes?  Sure, but it just takes a bit longer and you will need to practice more often. I have seen people just take group classes for a while and become pretty darn good dancers but when they made the decision they wanted to grow faster and started taking private lessons with me it is always like adding gas to a fire.  The dancing just takes off.   So, even if you just treat yourself to one private lesson a month while taking group classes, if you are with the right teacher and you put into practice what you learned you will grow.  

Recently there has been this great trend in West Coast Swing here in Reno where two followers will split the private lesson.  I really enjoy those as well.  I think it helps the dancers because they can also learn, what the other person needs to work on and incorporate that into their own dancing as well, and splitting the cost doesn't hurt.   It would not work that well in Ballroom because you need more floor time with your teacher, but of course, if you have a ballroom or Latin partner that is different. 


 

What Really Helps You Become a Good Dancer is...

Not just private lessons or group classes, it is getting your feet on the dance floor and actually screwing it up while dancing with a real live human.   Getting out and dancing is the best teacher after you have had a few lessons.  You take that experience back to your instructor and discuss what worked and what didn't go well.  Competition is also a good teacher.  If you ever do one you will realize it is fun and it is worth the value of ten lessons.  You learn so much about yourself and your dancing. 

Practice

Well, there is that.  When I was a beginner west coast swing dancer.  I would spend an hour a day by myself working on my basics and I would have to say, I think it paid off.  
So, many want patterns and more patterns but never work on the basics.  When I was a tennis player and teacher I worked on groundstrokes, overheads, lobs, volleys, and my serve.  I don't remember any trick shot practice.  Okay once. 😎

Ballroom dancing requires more practice because there are more dances and the techniques are more detailed.  If you have a partner, great, but if you don't you should still get on the floor and practice by yourself.  Even if you have a dance partner you need to be practicing by yourself.  I always was working on my movement and techniques when my ballroom partner was not around.  

What else can make you a better dancer?

Walking into every lesson like you don't know everything.  Be a clean canvas.  That is what I love about my students, they understand that concept.  It allows the instructor to show you something you already know and look at it with a more experienced eye to see the nuances instead the first time you learned when all you saw was the entire move.  You will see and feel how the foot strikes the dance floor, where the body movement came from, and how it follows through.  All the stuff you would have never seen the first 20 times you learned it.   

I really hope this helps you on your dance journey.  I adore you all.  Thanks for taking time out of your life to read these things,  See you on the Ballroom of Reno dance floor.

Cheers 

J

Jeffrey has taught all over the United States but makes his home at The Ballroom of Reno School of Dance.  He can teach anywhere but The Ballroom of Reno is a non-profit that touches the community through free group classes and other outreach dance programs, the 7000 square feet of the dance floor, combined with the wonderful people and no sales pressure attitude makes it the best ballroom dance studio in Reno Nv.  



The dances the pros teach at The Ballroom of Reno school of dance are Waltz, Foxtrot, Tango, Argentine Tango, Bolero, Rumba, Cha-Cha, East Coast Swing, West Coast Swing, Samba, Salsa, Mambo, Merengue, Viennese Waltz, night Club two-step, Country two-step Salsa on two, Bachata dance, Cumbia dance, Bolero, your First Wedding Dance, and many other social partner dances, club dances so you can go ballroom dancing or club dancing in Reno and Sparks NV!



The Ballroom of Reno YouTube


Here is another youtube channel I have for you to learn how to dance. 

Follow a beginner dancer as she learns Ballroom, Latin and Swing in Reno.


  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

West Coast Swing in Reno = Fun, Laughs and a Dork Teacher

West Coast Swing Dancing in Reno and Sparks

Are Private Lessons for Adults in Dance Classes in Reno Worth The Cost?